PDA

View Full Version : Common problems 6.4 ford diesel

sn95mustanggt
31st August 2011, 10:42 PM
Lookin at buyin a 08 f250 diesel with the 6.4l. What are some common problems with them? Are the motors worth a ****? Been looking for a 7.3 but they are all **** boxes. Give me some input. Thanks

SVTslowbra
31st August 2011, 10:43 PM
Drop the extra coin and get a 6.7.

SVTslowbra
31st August 2011, 10:44 PM
The small turbo that lays on it's side is hidden and doesn't get much air flow and tends to burn up on the 6.4 also. I'd stay away.

dieselgeek
1st September 2011, 01:57 PM
considering their diesel problems that exist even with brand new trucks - buy a duramax or cummins.

sn95mustanggt
1st September 2011, 02:31 PM
does the 6.4 have decent power? Decent fuel economy?

96speedZ28
1st September 2011, 02:32 PM
One of the more common problems...

http://littletechgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/ford-logo.jpg

ali
1st September 2011, 02:41 PM
They have a screw driver that falls and cuts into the tire

BOORAH
1st September 2011, 02:43 PM
It won't run on gas.

Jthod
1st September 2011, 02:46 PM
durramax.

Hillbilly
1st September 2011, 02:55 PM
6.5 Turbo.

Mopar9
1st September 2011, 03:55 PM
considering their diesel problems that exist even with brand new trucks - buy a duramax or cummins.

Bingo.

Mopar9
1st September 2011, 03:55 PM
One of the more common problems...

http://littletechgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/ford-logo.jpg

Nailed it.

Hillbilly
1st September 2011, 04:09 PM
^ does that say Navistar? Told you ****s John Deere was better, herpity derp.

SVTslowbra
1st September 2011, 04:17 PM
Don't listen to these noobs. They don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Hillbilly
1st September 2011, 04:22 PM
^does your family get money for your disablity?

SVTslowbra
1st September 2011, 04:29 PM
These noobs saying the 6.7 scorpion is **** are pissing me off. A bunch of ****ing idiots that don't know what the **** they're talking about. I have no problem with cummins or durajokes. I wouldn't ever drive one but you gotta give credit where credit is due and the new 6.7s are awesome. Most power and best fuel economy in the class and its ****? Give me a ****ing break you mopar/gm nutswinging faggots. Tell me what's wrong with them besides the shitty oil pan that can be replaced easily? ****!

Hillbilly
1st September 2011, 04:34 PM
I swing from no mopar nuts. I wouldn't own a ford diesel after the failure of a air cleaner on our 7.3 in 99. They couldn't design a paper bag.

SVTslowbra
1st September 2011, 04:40 PM
And people swing from 7.3 nuts too. I personally don't like them. They're doggy and don't get **** for fuel mileage but they go forever. I personally don't mind the 6.0, call me crazy but the only thing we've had to replace on ours in 140k was a oil pressure sensor that controls the injectors. It was chipped from damn near brand new too. Multiple ford diesel mechanics have said the 6.0s love to get the **** beat out of them and if you pussy foot around that's when you have problems. My advice to you is get an 07 6.0 with low miles and beat the **** out of it. You'll love it.

Mopar9
1st September 2011, 05:02 PM
The 7.3 is the only powerstroke that's worth a ****. You swing anything with a Ford badge, that's your problem, open your eyes and look at the reality.

The 6.7 has more problems than you would like. Besides the turbo problem, they drop valves, a lot. On powerjoke forums, every other horrific 6.7 story involves broken valves. Not to mention their heat sheilds are there just for looks more than anything.

Back to the 6.4.
A guy I used to work for, recently purchased one with 24k, its been in the shop more than its been in his driveway, with transmission and turbo problems. It at around 40k.

v8tiger
1st September 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm a ford diesel mechanic and I personally would never buy a diesel.

I've had more cabs off in the last 6 months than ever. Starting to see a lot melting pistons.

Mopar9
1st September 2011, 07:59 PM
In what motor? 6.0? 6.4? 6.7?

C.J.
1st September 2011, 08:06 PM
6.7s im guessing

sn95.0
1st September 2011, 08:08 PM
6.7s im guessing

The 6.0s you have to take the cab off to get the heads off. I don't know if they fixed this problem in the 6.7s

C.J.
1st September 2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah I knew that but he is saying melting pistons and being that he works at a dealership working on warranty claims, I would assume they are on newER trucks.

sn95.0
1st September 2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah I knew that but he is saying melting pistons and being that he works at a dealership working on warranty claims, I would assume they are on newER trucks.

Ya I didn't know if you were talking about the pistons or have the cabs off.

C.J.
1st September 2011, 08:11 PM
Ah yeah, either way I am just making assumptions. I have seen some 6.7s make really decent power with tuning but then you read about them blowing up :lol:

v8tiger
2nd September 2011, 10:19 AM
6.4s im talking about. Cause is that the injectors stick open and over fuel.

Warranty goes for 5 years 100k.

The 6.0s are just now getting out of that range. But i still see some 07s under warranty.

And you are wrong, You CAN do head gaskets with the cab on in a 6.0. Thats the way i do it.

v8tiger
2nd September 2011, 10:20 AM
I havent seen one 6.7 in here for a mechanical problem with the engine.

Only thing ive seen are the SCR sensors bad, which i guess a new reprogram fixes that. And i saw about 10 teeth on a flywheel sheer off.

GTPpower
2nd September 2011, 07:03 PM
I'm a big fan of Ford pickups, but if you stick a diesel in it, the Chevy is better.....anything is better. It's redicious that Ford can't get a diesel motor that will last under the hood since the 7.3.

Mopar9
2nd September 2011, 08:44 PM
No kidding, especially considering how hard they pimp them.

SVTslowbra
3rd September 2011, 11:24 AM
You heard it from the man himself. 6.7s are not problematic. Now you may all stfu.

86Shelby
3rd September 2011, 11:31 AM
Of course a Ford technician would say that to encourage people to buy one; his house doesn't pay for itself! :lol:

SVTslowbra
3rd September 2011, 02:05 PM
They paid for their houses just fine in 08-10 while talking **** about the 6.4...what's your point? I've never met a tech that didn't call it how they see it.

GTPpower
3rd September 2011, 02:41 PM
Of course you think the PSD is a good motor.....I mean, see sig for reference. Looks pretty credible to me.

SVTslowbra
3rd September 2011, 06:12 PM
Coming from the guy that tries to make a grand prix go fast...:rolleye:

GTPpower
3rd September 2011, 06:15 PM
It'd rape your parent's cobra

Kries
3rd September 2011, 06:20 PM
It'd rape your parent's cobra

:lol:

These noobs saying the 6.7 scorpion is **** are pissing me off. A bunch of ****ing idiots that don't know what the **** they're talking about. I have no problem with cummins or durajokes. I wouldn't ever drive one but you gotta give credit where credit is due and the new 6.7s are awesome. Most power and best fuel economy in the class and its ****? Give me a ****ing break you mopar/gm nutswinging faggots. Tell me what's wrong with them besides the shitty oil pan that can be replaced easily? ****!

Hahahahaha, this is the funniest **** I've ready in a while. Butthurt much? Who are you calling a nutswinger, you own a GT and your parents own a cobra. Don't you go to milford to work on fords? You swing on fords nuts like it's your fulltime job.

redditBot
3rd September 2011, 07:14 PM
OG thread ruiner checking in, :lol:

v8tiger
4th September 2011, 01:18 PM
Me telling you that a 6.7 id good isn't paying my mortgage.

I could care less about if you guys like them or not.

SVTslowbra
4th September 2011, 01:34 PM
Nobody on scr buys anything new anyways.

Brooky2.0
4th September 2011, 01:37 PM
I spent THOUSANDS on a top of the line new KIA.

Mopar9
4th September 2011, 02:03 PM
Nobody on scr buys anything new anyways.

Sure do.

SVTslowbra
4th September 2011, 03:36 PM
Edit: nothing that costs 60k

GTPpower
4th September 2011, 03:57 PM

Not everyone on here is just out of highschool.....

Yngvar
4th September 2011, 06:43 PM
I'm a big fan of Ford pickups, but if you stick a diesel in it, the Chevy is better.....anything is better. It's redicious that Ford can't get a diesel motor that will last under the hood since the 7.3.

I have yet seen a ford gas burner pickup that has had power compared to a 14 year Chevy pickup

GTPpower
4th September 2011, 07:59 PM

I have yet seen a ford gas burner pickup that has had power compared to a 14 year Chevy pickup

All the power in the world doesn't mean a thing if it's not reliable. Referring to the diesel.

Yngvar
4th September 2011, 08:12 PM
I have a had less problems with my truck then a guy I know with the same year of ford with less miles

GTPpower
4th September 2011, 08:28 PM
Good for you....

slownova
5th September 2011, 12:25 AM

Some do. I do yearly. I drove the new ford and wasn't really a fan of it. After owning many duramaxs, I didn't buy the '11 because of the urea failure that has become the new emmisions rules. My friends that have them have had poor luck with them. I'm holding out as long as I can. I ended up with a dodge. For what it's worth, my 08 duramax was the best diesel I've owned to date. If your looking at a 08 for, at least give chevy a shot also.

Jthod
5th September 2011, 09:51 AM
The new emission **** has been kinda problematic. The DEF issue has been band-aided by a re-program.

The exhaust system, DOC, DPF, and regen system has been pretty good, other that the smoking issue caused by a loose exhaust clamp on the downpipe.

Brooky2.0
5th September 2011, 10:33 AM

My old man's early 90s stock Ford pickup would mop the floor with any Chevrolet pickup produced in the 90s.

WANNA ARM WRESTLE ABOUT IT?!